Friday, November 24, 2006

black friday

today is black friday, the day that retailers rejoice. they slash their prices to insane proportions on big-ticket, must-have items on everyone's christmas lists. they then put scads of ads on television, in the paper, on the radio, and on flyers, in the hopes that just a few people will camp out (like my little brother) and even more will show up at the insanely early hour of 5 am to scrabble through the throngs of grabbing consumers to get that blazing-hot deal.

count me out.

for those that know me, i abhor heaving throngs of humanity. i'd rather pay $50 more for an item than fight a crowd for it. i love internet shopping, and walmart on monday morning. i'll suffer with no milk all weekend rather than fight the after-church sunday crowd for groceries!

how about you? were you the first lined up at the door for the sale, or are you in your jammies sipping coffee feeling sorry for all those folks shoving their way to the best possible prices??

7 comments:

Beenzzz said...

I am so with you on this! I refuse to go out there at 5:00 am just to get a few bucks off. I've already started my holiday shopping online. It's so much easier that way. Less frustration!!!

Anonymous said...

I did it ONCE to get a really good price on a TV we were buying for my son. NEVER AGAIN!!!

Susan in Italy said...

Hate big crowd shopping! Thank God there's no latest tickle-me-Elmo in Italy, or my Mom would have me in line for 4 of them for my nieces & nephews. In fact when I lived at home, my mom and I would go thrift shopping on the Friday after Thanksgiving while everybody else was downtown.

Anonymous said...

Didn't leave the house (or even shower)! Our most favorite thing to do on black friday is drink eggnog while putting up xmas decor and listening to Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer over and over and over.....but we were too lazy to even do that this year!

hellomelissa said...

hey beenzzz! good to know someone else is on this side of the fence!

mr.l, poor you! the experience scarred you for life.

susan-- now you're speaking my language! i'm a champion thrift shopper. most of s's clothes are things i've chosen at thrift shops over the years, and most of my books, too.

beth, well, you know how i ended up spending yesterday. and no, i didn't ever make it out of the jammies.

J said...

I'm not a big shopper on Black Friday, but I suddenly DID get a bug in my ear because we were going to dinner Saturday night, and I realized I had nothing to wear. So I went shopping, but well after the crazed early crush. We even found parking without any trouble.

Otherwise, there's no way I would do that to myself. My SIL does the early thing, and she LOVES it. :)

Unknown said...

It's like Black Friday everytime I go shopping in France, long lines, nasty people, hideous prices. I think I prefer the American version.