Thursday, October 19, 2006

im·pe·tig·i·nous

that's what the doctor said yesterday when she peered at the bubbling, erupting sore on s's lower lip and chin. that it could be a cold sore, but it looked a little impetiginous. as in impetigo. as in like flesh-eating bacteria. ew.

she took a culture of the juicy mess to have it tested, then prescribed zovirax in case it really was just a simple case of herpes simplex. took the prescription to CVS and nearly dropped dead on the floor at the $86 price tag for just FIVE GRAMS of the stuff. is prescription pricing getting a wee bit out of hand or is it just me??

today my baby's back at school and i'm feeling a little bit like somebody ripped off my arm, or snatched my kidney. i miss her. and i think i'm coming down with something unpleasant (probably picked up at school on tuesday or at the doctor's office yesterday).

although i did enjoy me some project runway last night! hooo-wee! did anybody else watch the finale? it was a doozy. maybe i'll post on it when i feel less like crawling back under the covers with my dog.

7 comments:

Beenzzz said...

I'm sorry you're not feeling well. :( Go to bed and get better. Yikes! Why did the prescription cost $86? That is ridiculous.

J said...

That's a crazy prescription price, ack! Esp since it sounds like they're not even positive if it will work.

Do you not have prescription insurance? Or do you have to pay a certain amount before it kicks in? MYOB, I know, but in the past, when I didn't have prescription insurance, I would tell the doctor, and sometimes they would give me a free sample, and other times, they could prescribe something cheaper.

Smoothieshake said...

i watched project runway!!!! it was sooooo good. I liked uli's and jeffrey's the best! I'm not gunna say anymore in case i'm spoiling it for someone reading...

Jay said...

That does sound like an ooey gooey mess, but surely it can't warrant those kinds of prices! Geez.



p.s. Love your kitchen chairs down below!

Anonymous said...

It's ok, impetigo is not flesh-eating. Impetigo is caused by Staphylococcus aureus or Streptococcus agalactiae; flesh-eating is done by Streptococcus pyogenes. Although it's gross, her chin will still be there tomorrow.

I hear you cry for cheaper prescriptions! Two things in this country that need fixing fast--health care and education.

Susan in Italy said...

Man. I there anything on the N. Carolina ballot this Nov. 7 about controlling prescription drug prices?

Anonymous said...

Oh, the price of medicine has been out of hand for a long time. There is no reason birth control should cost more than 3 dollars a month! Hope you feel better