Monday, February 06, 2006

where to begin?

i've had an unintentional blogging vacation because i've been BUSY. everyone is BUSY and it is no excuse. i'll apologize to those few who were counting on me and checking my blog regularly, only to see a fuzzy blue bunny face smiling back at them. isn't that the WORST??!

reason #1 for lameness is gross absorption in novel (to the right). i took a photo of the actual copy i read, as it is well worn. those who know me know that i almost only buy books at thrift shops at 10% of the original value, so many are already well loved. now i understand the condition of this one. this book took me in, spun me around, chewed me up, flipped me over and then on my side, and knocked me down before spitting me out. i am exhilirated, tired, and about as worn out as the book itself. it is a *rare* keeper (although in hindsight there were several others i should have kept) and i will absolutely read it again to extract the most possible meaning from the intricate prose. the best way i, in my clumsy manner, can sum up the book is to say that not many people can take just an ordinary family and describe thier lives and relationships so well that you are shaking your head in understanding, disgust, and voyeurism. i didn't want it to end, but i wanted it to end so i didn't have to see these people suffer their everyday lives for one more minute. whew.

was that enough of a rant? shall i stop right now? or tell you another reason i haven't blogged? how about reason #2 and then i'll be done for now? my parents are visiting again, installed successfully in the new attic room which we've taken to calling "the penthouse." lots of projects going, and more on the horizon. so much gets accomplished so quickly while they are here it makes my head spin. i feel renewed every time.

my darling daughter kept us up for several hours in the night claiming that she didn't feel well and that her tummy hurt. she is known for her cry-wolf-ishness (a new word! i just made it up!), so even though i could hear her little tummy grumbling (through the constant chatter-"mommy did you know that fly and cry RHYME?") i didn't put much stock in it.

until this morning when her bowels let loose with a terrible ferocity. the first time on the pot. the second time ON THE LIVING ROOM FLOOR. adventures in parenting are never dull. and luckily it was ME and not my poor parents who got to deal with one of the most wretchingly disgusting parental duties. and luckily we have wood floor. it reminded me of the time that my "sister-in law" (it's in quotes 'cause she's really my brother's girlfriend but i love her) was sharing a room with s last summer at the beach at got to deal with a big pile of kid barf. kate was SO BRAVE and took the whole thing calmly and in stride, but i will forever be in her debt for having to suffer the bile nastiness of a child not her own.

more later.

1 comment:

Lotus Reads said...

Good to have you back! How are the kidlets doing this morning, the poor little things! Love that you found a book that consumed you in that way - I am still looking for one that will do the same for me!

I love how you said, "...this book took me in, spun me around, chewed me up, flipped me over and then on my side, and knocked me down before spitting me out. i am exhilirated, tired, and about as worn out as the book itself..." I might use these lines in one of my reviews some day! LOVE IT!